Tourism schools and courses
What tourism courses are available in Brussels?
Below are details of the various education institutions offering courses in tourism (Brussels Tourism Schools):
Institut Edmond Machtens (www.institut-machtens.be) in Molenbeek St Jean offers a Bachelor of Tourism majoring in Management, leading to a degree recognised by the French Community.
– Reception and Tourism Officer (conferral of a secondary level certificate)
– Tour and Regional Guide in partnership with CERIA (conferral of a BES – Vocational Certificate).
Non-university higher education
Institut Arthur Haulot and ISALT, both tertiary institutions in the Brussels Region, offer programmes in the tourism industry. Focussing on travel agencies, tour operators, coach drivers and hospitality, these schools offer recognised programmes that serve as a springboard for working in the tourism industry.
These programmes can be accessed by those holding a secondary school certificate. (CESS).
- Institut Arthur Haulot – Haute Ecole Lucia de Brouckère: offers a Bachelor of Tourism, a 3-year programme: Streams: “Leadership”and “Management” – Stream to be chosen at the end of 1stClick here for more information regarding the programme. More information concerning international partners.
Leaders are good with people and are extroverts who enjoy sharing their enthusiasm. They’re also responsible for the content of travel programmes. They accompany groups and use their leadership skills at tourism facilities (museums, tourist clubs and attractions, etc.).
Managers are more oriented towards the financial and organisational aspects of businesses and are in charge of budgets, calculating costs, negotiating contracts with various players in the tourism industry, managing teams, etc.
The Institute has developed partnerships with various European education institutions and universities. See: http://www.heldb.be/formations/economique/tourisme/etudier-a-l-etranger.
- ISALToffers a Bachelor of Tourism and Leisure Management, a 3-year programme. Direct entry into 2nd Year is possible. Programme leading to various tourism professions. Internships within a company during your studies. (ISALT encourages you to undertake your final year internship abroad). Seminars led by industry professionals. Study trip and Eductour Belgique. Four languages are studied (see our article on unemployment in Brussels and the importance of multilingualism). General training in economic, legal and psycho-social fields in relation to current trends.
- Institut Roger Lambionoffers a Tour Guide training programme. The qualification conferred is a “Tour Guide/Regional Guide Vocational Certificate – BES”, an undergraduate tertiary qualification for adults. Classes are divided between languages, intangible, artistic and cultural heritage, practical exercises applied to the tour guide profession, etc. Click here for the complete programme. Classes take place at two different locations, at Institut Roger Lambion on the Ceria campus and at the Institut d’Enseignement de Promotion Sociale de la Communauté Française.
ULB offers a programme in Tourism Science and Management. This Master’s degree is taught by the University’s Faculty of Science. Theory and practical classes, study trips, excursions, an internship and a dissertation are integral parts of the programme. Courses in cartography, tourism economics, marketing, tourism history and geography. This Master’s degree especially trains students in the creation of heritage and environmental itineraries, cultural tourism management, strategy and the design of products and events. Partnerships with foreign universities offering Erasmus exchange opportunities (Spain, United Kingdom, Portugal, Italy, Canada, etc.). Additionally, certain modules in the Master’s degree are taught in English. ULB is the only university in the French Community to offer a Master of Tourism Science and Management.
VATEL International Business School Hotel & Tourism Management: offers a 5-year programme specialising in hotel management. This programme is spread over 2 degrees: Bachelor and Master. This private school, partnered with a French business school, trains future operational and managerial executives for the hotel industry and the tourism industry in general. Vatel describes itself as the 1st Worldwide Business School Group in Hospitality and Management, with 30 schools worldwide. The school boasts a 100% graduate employment rate. Furthermore, within the context of the 2010 Worldwide Hospitality Awards, industry professionals awarded Vatel the Best Professional Success Award and the Best Educational Innovation Award, naming it the best European school in its category.
The Espace Formation PME is the small and medium business training centre for the Brussels Region. The EFPME is intended for those aiming to work in independent professions, small and medium businesses or very small businesses, as well as their partners. The EFPME offers two “business manager” programmes:
- Tour Guide – Regional Guide(Business Manager/Service Professions stream). Programme taught by active industry professionals, 2-year programme. In partnership with Visit Brussels, Voir et Dire Bruxelles, the FBAA (Belgian federation of bus and coach operators and travel organisers).
- Travel Agent (Business Manager/Service Professions stream). Programme taught by professionals active in the industry, 3-year programme. Ideally, you will be on an internship contract or working in the industry during your training.
Institut Charles Péguy offers three programmes:
- Hotel Management
- Event Creation and Management
Graduate within 3 years. Admission is possible for those without a secondary school certificate (aptitude and knowledge of the profession tests). It’s possible to attend a day of classes, by appointment and when convenient to you. Ph.: 010 45 11 08. Institut Charles Péguy ASBL, Place Pierre de Coubertin 2, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve.
We hope you found the above information useful. Please excuse us if a course has been left out. If this is the case, please leave a comment below or send us an email so we can update this page. Please share this page with your contacts so that they can benefit from it too.